California Assessment of Student Progress and Performance (CAASPP)
The 2015-2016 CAASPP comprises the following required assessments (Ed Code 60640-49):
- Smarter Balanced summative computer adaptive test (CAT) and performance task (PT) for English Language Arts (ELA) and mathematics in grades three through eight and grade eleven
- Alternate assessment field test for English Language Arts (ELA) and mathematics in grades three through eight for special needs students
- Science assessments- California Standards Test (CST), California Modified Assessment (CMA) and California Alternate Performance Assessment (CAPA) in grades five, eight, and ten
- Standards-based Test in Spanish (STS) in Reading/language arts (for students in the country for less than 12 months)
- Grade two diagnostics in English Language Arts and mathematics
Student performance information will be provided through a individual paper report. Reporting results will include:
- Smarter Balanced Assessment: English Language Arts and mathematics in grades three through eight
- California Standards Test (CST), California Modified Assessment (CMA), and California Alternate Performance Assessment (CAPA) in Science.
- Standards-Based Test in Spanish (STS) for reading language arts in grades two through eleven.
Interim Assessments: Students in grades two through eight will be assessed using interim assessments at the end of the first and second trimester. The Smarter Balanced assessments are computer-based experiences designed to inform instruction and provide a learning opportunity for students. They include:
- Grades 3-8: English Language Arts: Trimester 1: Performance Writing Task. Trimester II: Brief Write research and inquiry responses.
- Grades 3-8 Mathematics: Trimester 1: Math Performance Task; Trimester II: Interim Assessment Blocks that reflects appropriate pacing.
- Grade 2: Diagnostic Assessment; Reading and Math STAR Assessment
- Teachers are encouraged to use additional Interim Assessment Blocks to inform instruction.