Alta Loma School District Waiver Information
Dear Alta Loma Families,
The Alta Loma School District submitted a waiver application to the San Bernardino County Department of Public Health last week for our elementary schools to reopen for in-person classes. If approved, the waiver could allow for students at our elementary schools to return to school, with restrictions.
Waivers only allow for TK-6th grade students at this point and there are not yet state waiver applications available for grades 7 and 8 to return to schools.
We are only able to apply for the waiver because the number of Covid-19 infections within our district boundaries is currently below that of San Bernardino County as a whole. The county is currently in the “purple” quadrant, and thus students are not allowed to return to school without an approved waiver.
The waiver allows for the return of students in grades TK-6 with the following mandatory requirements:
- Physical distancing of at least 6 feet apart
- Students and staff must wear masks
- Physical distancing must be maintained at recess and at all times
- Room and high-touch surfaces must be cleaned on a scheduled basis
- Additional restrictions that are listed on the waiver application
Upon approval of the waiver:
- it does not signify our schools will immediately reopen;
- no return date has yet been established;
- the programming format for returning to schools has not yet been determined; and
- children will not be required to return to school campuses. Families will have the choice of a yet-to-be-determined hybrid model of in-person education or to continue with distance learning.
Conditions surrounding the Covid-19 pandemic remain fluid and are changing every day. We continue to monitor the most current county and local risk levels and we also are surveying teachers for their input. A parent survey will be conducted later in October.
We are hopeful that San Bernardino County soon moves out of the purple tier and that conditions improve so that students at all of our schools have the opportunity to return.
Thank you for your patience, perseverance and grace as we work our way through this unprecedented time.